For my first venture into the world of vintage cookery I chose two dinners from Betty Crocker's Dinner in a Dish: Chicken Dinner Pie and Cheese Cloud on Creamy Chicken. While I was a bit leery about "eating something from 1965" all went well and we had two nights of tasty and unique dinners.
For the Chicken Dinner Pie I cheated and used a pre- made
pie crust from the dairy section. The only thing I would change about that is ensuring there was minimal crust around the top edge. I purchased approximately 1 lb. of uncooked skinless chicken tenders, cooking them and cubing myself. The can of onions was the challenge- I finally just cooked some frozen pearl onions and chopped them up.
The Cheese Cloud was uneventful, however it had the tricky taste of the 1960's that I don't think I will revisit again, although it was lovely to try once.
The rest was pretty simple- the most enjoyable part of vintage cooking is the scavenger hunt at the grocery store. It's fun to see if the products are still available and then how the product may have changed- for example the weight. I have included the recipes below and please let me know how it goes if you give them a try!


No comments:
Post a Comment